US Files First Court Action Against Site Offering Fraudulent COVID - 19 Vaccine - THE DAILY CRUCIBLE

Breaking

Ads

Sunday, March 22, 2020

US Files First Court Action Against Site Offering Fraudulent COVID - 19 Vaccine


The Department of Justice has said  that it has taken its first action in federal court to combat fraud related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 
The enforcement action which was filed in Austin against operators of a fraudulent website, followed Attorney General William Barr’s recent directive for the department to prioritize the detection, investigation, and prosecution of illegal conduct related to the pandemic.
The civil complaint and accompanying court papers filed  last week shows the operators of the website “coronavirusmedicalkit.com” engage  in a wire fraud scheme seeking to profit from the confusion and widespread fear surrounding COVID-19.
According to DOJ in a release sighted by The Daily Crucible, the website claimed to offer consumers access to World Health Organization (WHO) vaccine kits in exchange for a shipping charge of $4.95, which consumers would pay by entering their credit card information on the website.  In fact, there are currently no legitimate COVID-19 vaccines and the WHO is not distributing any such vaccine. 
 In response to the department’s request, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman issued a temporary restraining order requiring that the registrar of the fraudulent website immediately take action to block public access to it.
“The Department of Justice will not tolerate criminal exploitation of this national emergency for personal gain,” said Assistant Attorney General Jody Hunt of the Department of Justice’s Civil Division.  “We will use every resource at the government’s disposal to act quickly to shut down these most despicable of scammers, whether they are defrauding consumers, committing identity theft, or delivering malware.”
“Attorney General Barr has directed the department to prioritize fraud schemes arising out of the coronavirus emergency,” said U.S. Attorney John F. Bash of the Western District of Texas.  “We therefore moved very quickly to shut down this scam.  We hope in the future that responsible web domain registrars will quickly and effectively shut down websites designed to facilitate these scams.  My office will continue to be aggressive in targeting these sorts of despicable frauds for the duration of this emergency.”
“At a time when we face such unprecedented challenges with the COVID-19 crisis, Americans are understandably desperate to find solutions to keep their families safe and healthy,” said Special Agent in Charge Christopher Combs of the FBI’s San Antonio Field Office.  “Fraudsters who seek to profit from their fear and uncertainty, by selling bogus vaccines or cures, not only steal limited resources from our communities, they pose an even greater danger by spreading misinformation and creating confusion.  During this difficult time, protecting our communities from these reprehensible fraud schemes will remain one of the FBI’s highest priorities."
The United States filed today’s announced action to shutter the website immediately while an investigation of the website and its operators continues.  In so doing, the government is employing a federal statute that permits federal courts to issue injunctions to prevent harm to potential victims of fraudulent schemes.
The Department of Justice recommends that Americans to take  precautionary measures to protect themselves from known and emerging scams related to COVID-19:

No comments:

Post a Comment